Saturday 14 May 2011

Fairytale Bedrooms

For as long as I can remember, people have always said that I have a Princess Room. Family, friends, boyfriends (and trust me, that's not what any insecure teenage girl wants to hear) you name it.
Up until recently I have despised people saying this, but in the last year or two I have grown to love my bed. It's a beautiful antique French Lace Four Poster, and for the majority of my life has had netting or curtaining around it; until last year when I went through a wannabe-minimalist/eclectic phase (I couldn't really stick to one or the other). I unscrewed and untied and finally managed to get the big hoop off it. The mosquito net went, and the Princess bed disappeared. Now the bed still looks lovely, but it looks like something is missing.
As you know, I am working on a beautiful old house at Cockatoo Island at the moment. This has been my first project where I've decided to do something that I really love, that reflects my own style. I've been trawling through blogs and websites and books and magazines and taking notice of rooms that really get me going; and it seems that I love bedrooms. Pretty, elegant, fairytale-esque bedrooms. "But you said you've always despised people saying you have a Princess room?" you say. This is correct. But perhaps that is because of the connotations of the word "Princess"? It's a word that has seemed to follow me around my whole life. Seriously, everywhere. But, forgetting all of that, a Princess Bedroom is really every little girls dream, right? So maybe it is every woman's dream as well? "Every" is a bit of a generalization but I'm sure there are a lot of women out there.
So, this post is a tribute to Fairytale Rooms. "Fairytale" doesn't have the awful connotations of the word "Princess" so let's just stick with that.

NB I think it's time I dug out the old Hoop and Net...











I call this one "Uni Fairytale"

And this one, Grown-Up Fairytale.

No comments:

Post a Comment