Sunday 19 June 2011

Transformational Piece

For one of my classes at college at the moment, we had to find a piece of furniture and turn it into something else. Thought I'd share with you my chair that I am very proud of!
I started off with this very unimpressive little wrought iron table.


At first I wanted to extend the wrought iron and create a sculptural chair back for it but then with the help of a dear friend of mine, perspex was brought to my attention! I then started playing with different designs, sketching them up and then putting them into CAD (seriously one of the hardest things I've ever been faced with).
I sent it off to the kind people at Allplastics and then looked into having an upholstered cushion made. After collecting that from the fabulous Jack at The Couch that Jack Built, I held my breath and waited for the perspex to be cut... a terrifying wait! Luckily, it turned out just as it had in my head; can't remember ever having such a feeling of relief!
Now, drum roll, I present to you... the final piece! I've just designed a wallpaper which I will have printed onto fabric to then cover the cushion at a later date.

Enjoy!


NB perspex is very hard to photograph outside of a photography studio...

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! Love this chair!

    http://socialemissions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly, I was very pleased with how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete